Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"Compost yourself," said Perry Mason's creator.

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"My sediments exactly," said Moraine McGovern.

TEd
P
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
P
I especially like "My sediments exactly," said Moraine McGovern, TEd Rem. It's a double. :)

mo·raine ( P ) Pronunciation Key (m-rn)
n.
An accumulation of boulders, stones, or other debris carried and deposited by a glacier.

[French, from French dialectal morena, mound of earth, from Provençal morre, muzzle, from Vulgar Latin *murrum.]

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>it's a double

we've had Tom Swifty threads running over in Wordplay from time to time, ron suggested pointedly.

"Your Honour, I think you've lost your mind." determined Tom judgementally. :|

P
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
P
"Your Honour, I think you've lost your mind." determined Tom judgementally.

"I don't mind", the Judge retorted. "'Cause you've just lost your judgment."

#138437 02/05/05 07:49 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes, but only the most obvious one of several.

The first one is perhaps the most subtle.

Said TEd not so obviously

TEd
#138438 02/05/05 12:27 PM
P
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
P
the most obvious one of several

I only unearthed two, TEd Rem. Otherwise I would have called it a triple.

Hey, I just thought of something. Where's the cave in "excavation"? An "excavation" is just a big hole, unless there's a cave-in.

People are attracted to big holes. Have you noticed that? They're always hoarding them.

And they put peep holes in these hoards. So people can look through the peep holes into a hole. Where's the sense in that, TEd Rem?

They say some people are always looking for dirt. Well, maybe that's true. But most folks just want to know where the dirt went.

Everyone's heard about the law of conservation of mass. But what about the law of conservation of dirt? You can dig dirt up, but it never disappears. It just keeps circulating. That's the thing about dirt. Even if you can't see it, it's still a dirty secret.

Here's something else. Even when you're spotless, there's always someone trying to get the dirt on you. And that's another thing about dirt. It seems to multiply. Maybe they should call it the law of multiplication of dirt.

Now you know what pedologists do in their spare time, TEd Rem. Let's face it. If you study dirt for a living, sooner or later some of it is going to rub off on you.

Everyone's interested in dirt - even if they don't want any of it on them personally. It's time we came clean about that, TEd Rem. You were a teacher once, weren't you? Maybe you still are. If I were a teacher, I would bring dirt into the classroom. I would add it and subtract it and then watch it multiply.

If you ask me, there is more dirt piling up than there are holes to fill it with. I don't know why anyone is worried about erosion. The only thing that is eroding is our values. And that's because we've got too much dirt, not too little.

You know, TEd Rem. Some things never change. Everyone's always talking about erosion, but the dirt keeps piling up. If people were really interested in getting rid of dirt, they would just sweep it under the carpet. That's what I do with it. But, hell, what's the point really? Even if you sweep it under the carpet, someone's always bringing more out of the closet.

You can always tell when someone is about to dump a load of dirt. "I've got the skinny" on so and so, they say. That's a dead give-away. But I could never figure out why dirt is "skinny". If anything, you would think dirt would be fat. Why not say "I've got the fat" on so and so? People are always trying to lose weight. If you want to spread dirt on someone, you should spread "the fat" on them, not "the skinny". You can be sure it's going to get their goat a heck of a lot more.

Which makes me wonder. Why would anyone want to get someone else's goat? Where would you keep it even if you got it? What do goats eat anyway? You can get them to mow your lawn, but they won't eat dirt. And that's another thing about dirt. You can never get rid of it. So why dig it up in the first place?

It doesn't make a hole lot of sense to me, TEd Rem. That's the hole load on dirt when you really get to the bottom of it. You may disagree with me. You may say there's no bottom, but really there's no top. And that's why no-one can ever get on top of the problem. That's if you think dirt's a problem. Personally, I'm not so sure. Dirt is just a fact of life. So why can't we learn to live with it?

#138439 02/05/05 02:16 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

#138440 02/05/05 03:05 PM
P
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
P
from Dr. Bill [wwh]: 'Pedology' reminded me that there are a number of Russian words commonly used in agricultural articles.

"Chernozem" and "Podzol" are two that come to mind. Maybe you might be interested to hunt for enough more to make a post.

Why Russian terms? [I wonder]*

"The scientific basis of soil science as a natural science was established by the classical works of Dokuchaev. Previously, soil had been considered a product of physicochemical transformations of rocks, a dead substrate from which plants derive nutritious mineral elements. Soil and bedrock were in fact equated.

Dokuchaev considers the soil as a natural body having its own genesis and its own history of development, a body with complex and multiform processes taking place within it. The soil is considered as different from bedrock. The latter becomes soil under the influence of a series of soil-forming factors--climate, vegetation, country, relief and age. According to him, soil should be called the "daily" or outward horizons of rocks regardless of the type; --------

Beginning in 1870, the Russian school of soil science under the leadership of V.V. Dokuchaiev (1846 – 1903) and N.M. Sibertsev (1860 – 1900) was developing a new concept of soil. The Russian workers conceived of soils as independent natural bodies, each with unique properties resulting from a unique combination of climate, living matter, parent material, relief, and time. They hypothesized that properties of each soil reflected the combined effects of the particular set of genetic factors responsible for the soil's formation. -----

* The Russian concepts were revolutionary. Properties of soils no longer were based wholly on inferences from the nature of the rocks or from climate or other environmental factors, considered singly or collectively; rather, by going directly to the soil itself, the integrated expression of all these factors could be seen in the morphology of the soils. This concept required that all properties of soils be considered collectively in terms of a completely integrated natural body. In short, it made possible a science of soil.

The early enthusiasm for the new concept and for the rising new discipline of soil science led some to suggest the study of soil could proceed without regard to the older concepts derived from geology and agricultural chemistry. Certainly the reverse is true. Besides laying the foundation for a soil science with its own principles, the new concept makes the other sciences even more useful. ----

Under the leadership of Marbut, the Russian concept was broadened and adapted to conditions in the United States. --- "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soil_science

BTW Forestry is a related field of study [because trees prevent soil erosion]. This search turned up "silviculture", formerly the name for Forestry, and "edaphology" another name for "pedology". [As if we needed another name for "pedology". "Pedology" has more legs than a pedestrian! :) ]

Pedestrian: From Latin pedester, pedestr-, going on foot, from pedes, a pedestrian, from ps, ped-, foot. See ped- in Indo-European Roots. Dictionary.com

So how come a pedologist isn't a pedestrian, Dr. Bill? [You figure that one out, OK.]

#138441 02/05/05 05:18 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>I only unearthed two

The Muhammed Ali one is pretty subtle, as is the one about Fuller's earth and till. But I think the others should have been pretty obvious.

And are you one of those people who need peep-holes? If you don;t know what to fill those holes up with, let's try sand. Another Barbra's pun.

TEd
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 220 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith