Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
California needs to get a grip on its legal system:

"After serving more than five years for the VCR offense, a federal judge released Ramirez in 2002 under reasoning the appeals court affirmed Monday."

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y23512418

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
There we go with topic vs. subject again.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"After serving more than five years for the VCR offense, a federal judge released Ramirez in 2002 under reasoning the appeals court affirmed Monday."

This is nothing short of laziness. There are a bunch of ways to recast this.

"A federal judge released Ramirez in 2002 after he had served more than five years in prison for stealing a $199 VCR. The appeals court agreed with the judge's reason for overturning the sentence."

"Ramires, who had served more than five years of a 25-year sentence, was released in 2002 by a Federal judge who ruled that the punishment did not fit the crime."

It's really so easy to get it right, and actually (to me) rather harder to get it wrong, but then most of us understand the finer nuances of English, something the reporter obviously did not.

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Well, both your solutions fix the problem, TEd, but create new ones: the first is too wordy, and the second uses the passive voice. Yet I still like the passive-voice phrasing most of the three.

It is indeed a question of subject vs. topic.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Asp:

I started to comment on the passive voice when I wrote those two replacement suggestions, then decided not to. Like you, I don't like the passive voice, mbut there are times when it comes in pretty handy.

I have written entire pay entitlement manuals ( several hundred pages of regulations!) with absolutely no passive voice in them, but I'll admit there were times when it would have been easier to use it.

TEd

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
California needs to get a grip , period.

As to news reporting, has anyone else detected what seems to be an increase in the use of...colloquial words, for lack of a better term. Yesterday one of our local newscasters reported that somebody had "busted into" somewhere; and there was something similar not too long ago that I can't recall right now. Do you-all think this is a good thing, or not? It sounds pretty unprofessional to me.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I don't like it, Jackie, because it only pushes colloquial further down. pretty soon we'll just be grunting...

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
This seems to me just another case of working too hard to misunderstand something. If you have to work harder to misunderstand it than you would to 'fix' it, then reanalyze your understanding of grammar.

J
veteran
veteran
J
After serving more than five years for the VCR offense, a federal judge released Ramirez in 2002 under reasoning the appeals court affirmed Monday.

The reporter probably wrote: "After serving more than five years for the VCR offense, Ramirez was released by a federal judge in 2002 under reasoning the appeals court affirmed Monday." But some editor tsk-tsked the use of the passive, and it was changed. Whenever somebody deprecates the usa of the passive, I wonder aloud how come so many languages developed one in the first place? Now ergative languages have an anti-passive. Cool.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In some technical writing the use of the active instead of the passive produces horribly strained syntax.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 220 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith